Please remember that there are a couple of steps to the discussion. The first step if your response, the next is responding to another student. This helps to see another student’s perspective, which is extremely helpful for considering angles to a topic/discussion that you may have missed.
You initial post is due by the end of the day on Thursday, but your response is due by the end of the day on Friday!
Part One: Culture Discussion and Exercise
In total, the response to this part of the discussion should be at least 100 words.
First, based on the information covered in week 1 and week 2, briefly discuss:
1) How can we recognize American culture? What does it look like?
2) How do biases influence inequality (including in hiring and medical treatment)? How can social norms contribute to a maintenance of inequality? Please pull from the course lecture AND videos in your discussion.
Second, please take part in this mini-ethnography exercise:
The main idea behind ethnography is to observe a social setting and take note of what it looks like. How are people dressed? How do they interact? Do they have any unique norms regarding interaction and self-expression?
For this portion, take a look at a video of San Diego Comic Con and let me know what subcultural facets you notice.
Comic Con Video (Links to an external site.)
Part Two: Practicing APA Citations
This portion is your APA exercise. To the best of your ability – and using your APA guide (Links to an external site.) – please try to adjust the following pieces of information into appropriate APA citations. “Solutions” will be posted for your reference next week.
In particular, it is likely useful to reference the segments on in-text citations (Links to an external site.) and reference lists (Links to an external site.).
It is also likely useful to review these slides download.
Although the slides contain some of the practice examples, I am also listing them for you here:
- You need to write an in-text citation, introducing the idea with “According to…” and using an article by James Smith, Renee Carter, and Nicole Jimenez. The article was written in 2013 and published in Contexts. How do you introduce your paragraph?
- You want to write a citation with all of the pertinent information in parentheses at the end of your sentence. You are using an article from Gender & Society written by Linda Taylor, Albert Yee, and Trisha Brown. The article was published in 2003. Rewrite the following sentence to include the appropriate citation:One study suggests that watching movies with friends can deepen one’s understanding and experience.
- How would you cite the following for a reference page (a bibliography)?
- Information:Title: Why Game (Culture) Studies Now?Author: Constance A. Steinkuehler, University of Wisconsin–MadisonJournal: Games and Culture, Volume 1 Number 1, January 2006Pages: 97-102
- Information:Title: Ethnic Differences in Affect Intensity, Emotion Judgments, Display Rule Attitudes, and Self-Reported Emotional Expression in an American SampleAuthor: David MatsumotoJournal: Motivation and Emotion, VoL 17, No. 2, 1993Pages: 107-123
Title: What Is Video Game Culture? Cultural Studies and Game Studies
Author: Adrienne Shaw
Journal: Games and Culture, Vol 5 Number 4, 2010
Make sure to respond to another student!