I’m working on a english writing question and need an explanation to help me understand better.
Follow these guidelines carefully (students who do have much stronger essays):
- The essay instruction sheet is the attached Microsoft Word file above.
- You won’t remember all of the essay instructions with one or two read-throughs, so have the instructions in front of you throughout the writing process.
- If you can, print out the instructions, so you don’t have to go back and forth between screens.
- If you don’t have a printer, download the instructions onto your computer. Then copy and paste all the words from the instructions onto a blank sheet in Microsoft Word. Do your prewriting and draft on this page. That way, when you’re working, you don’t have to go back and forth between screens. When you’re ready to turn in your essay, delete the instructions from the document.
- Follow the instructions very closely. To be fair to everyone, I have to grade by them. Students who follow them closely earn higher grades.
- Actually use the instructions as a checklist. (I’m glad my boss doesn’t have to chase me down to redo work because I’m careful the first time. Just like everyone, I occasionally make mistakes, but no one likes having to deal with carelessness in a supervisee.)
- Read the sample essays while comparing them to the instruction sheet. It will help you understand the assignment more deeply.
- Sometimes students rush through writing essays. However, students who take the time first to understand the assignment and then use the reading and writing processes from the Groundwork unit are much better off long term.