I’m working on a art writing question and need guidance to help me learn.
Here is the Museum Paper Assignment. You can find this, and all of the information you need, in the Paper module, located after Lecture 14, and before Quiz III, in Modules. You will also post your paper there.
For this assignment, you will go online to visit a national or international art museum website of your choice. This includes the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Toledo Museum of Art.
1. You will write a paper of no less than 1000 words about one painting in the collection of your chosen museum.
You must choose a painting that has not been shown and discussed in the course, as of the assignment due date.
At least eighty percent (800 words) of your paper must be an analysis of the artist’s use of the Elements of Art, and the compositional Principles of Design to create the painting. The analysis of Color in your chosen painting should be an important part of your paper.
You may use up to twenty percent (200 words) of your paper for such things as an introduction, conclusion, historical information about the artist and painting.
2. You must embed an image of your chosen painting, along with an active link to your chosen museum’s website.
3. Be sure to include the name of the artist, the title and dimensions of the painting, and the date of its creation. If the title or subject of your selected painting refers to a particular religious, historical or mythological event or person, find out what the reference means, and include that information in your paper.
4. Use the vocabulary from the course to describe and analyze the artwork. Use examples from the painting to support your statements. Cite any sources you use for research or quotations. Check your spelling and grammar.
5. You must respond to one student’s paper.Your response must be 150 words in length. Use and explain at least one example of something you found interesting or informative in your colleague’s paper.
Tips for Writing a Successful Paper*
* Choose a painting that gives you a lot to write about.
That is, one that gives you plenty to analyze. The focus of your paper should be an analysis of the artist’s use of the Elements of Art, and the compositional Principles of Design to create the painting.
* Pick a colorful painting.
The analysis of Color in your chosen painting should be an important part of your paper. You may have to read ahead in the Lectures to have all of the information you need for your analysis. Use what you learn about Color in Lectures 11 and 12. It would help you to write your response to the Lecture 12 Threaded Discussion 4 before writing your paper.
* Use the Museum Paper Resource.
The Resource is a located in the Paper module, just below the Museum Paper Assignment. This is a collection of web links to major art museums here, in the United States, and around the world.
* Use the Museum Guide.
The Guide is located in the Paper module, just below the Museum Paper Resource. The Museum Guide is a complete list of questions to consider as you view your chosen painting. You don’t have to answer all of the listed questions in your paper, but you can choose those that seem most relevant to your chosen painting.
* Read the Sample Papers.
The Samples are located in the Paper module, just below the Museum Guide. There you will find three successful student papers.
* If you choose the DIA, and decide to write about Diego Rivera’s “Detroit Industry” murals (Lecture 14), pick just one wall or one area to write about. Don’t write about the entire room; that is too much for this assignment. Some history and symbolism is fine, but focus on an analysis of the Element and Principles, as described in the assignment.