Assignment 1: Careers in Accounting
Due Week 8 and worth 240 points
Accounting is the study of how businesses track their income andassets over time. Accountants engage in a wide variety of activitiesbesides preparing financial statements and recording businesstransactions. These activities include computing costs and efficiencygains from new technologies, participating in strategies for mergers andacquisitions, quality management, developing and using informationsystems to track financial performance, tax strategy, and health carebenefits management.
Use the Internet or the Strayer Online database to research careeroptions within the accounting field and accounting job postings in yourlocal area to respond to the questions in the assignment.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
- Describe at least two (2) career options someone with an accountingeducation can pursue. Be sure to reference sources such as the Bureau ofLabor Statistics and the American Institute of Certified PublicAccountants.
- Describe one (1) researched accounting position, and explain theessential skills that would make a candidate successful in the position.Articulate the primary manner in which the researched accountingpositions could add value to the company seeking candidates.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), withone-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APAor school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additionalinstructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, thestudent’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date.The cover page and the reference page are not included in the requiredassignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and explain the fundamental concepts and principles inaccounting, the components of the accounting equation, the primaryfinancial accounting equation, and financial statements and reports.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in financial accounting.
- Write clearly and concisely about financial accounting using proper writing mechanics.