according to strategic management book, a strategic alliance is a partnership btween firms whereby their resources and capabilities are combined to create a competitive advantge. so what is for an airline compay such as Unite. American or one of the three main alliances (one world, star or skyteam)
- In general, why do airlines form an alliance with one another (particularly internationally) rather than expanding by acquisition?
- What is the history of the alliance to which you were assigned?
- Describe the main benefits that airlines hope to gain through membership. What is the competitive advantage of your particular alliance (if you find there is one)?
- Categorise the alliance in terms of the three types of strategic alliance. Also describe the cooperative strategy of a member firm in relation to its business-level and corporate level strategy.
- Think through issues of the future of airline alliances. If you were the CEO of a major US airline, what might worry you about your particular alliance, if anything?