Purpose of the Paper
All of us, no matter how learned or skilled in the field ofcommunication, still experience problems communicating interpersonallywith others to some degree, so we need to find ways to increase ourcompetence as communicators. By completing this paper I hope you willgain both confidence and ability to more effectively deal withinterpersonal communication problems in the future.
Specifics of the Paper
In this paper, you will: (1) describe an aspect ofinterpersonal communication that you recognize as being an area ofneeded improvement for yourself, (2) use theories and concepts from ourtextbook and/or class lectures to analyze why you mightencounter some of the communication problems that you experience, (3)again, using theories and concepts from reading and/or online lectures, describe an action plan for improving communication competence in that area that you’ve discussed.
Selecting a Topic Area
One way to proceed with this paper is to think of situations whereyou find it difficult to engage in communication or to achieve yourcommunication goals. For example, maybe you find it difficult not tocompete during interpersonal conflict, maybe you’re just not sure how todisclose feelings in a relationship that is important to you, or maybeyou don’t know how to effectively listen to a child or parent.
Another suggestion is to make notes of topics discussed in your textwith which you can personally identify. For example, after reading thetext you may realize that you use language in unconventional ways,possibly in detrimental ways. Or, after reading about nonverbalcommunication, you realize that you misinterpret a friend’s facialexpressions a great deal.
Format of the paper
- Each paper should be 3 – 5 pages long. Headings, title pages, and works cited pages do NOT count toward your page count.
- Paper should include an introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Each paper should include documentation of your source(s) – at a minimum, you should cite our textbook.
- The paper should be double-spaced the paper with 12 point Time New Roman font.
- Organizational Guide
You do not submit this outline. I am providing the guide to help you organize your writing.
Introduction (usually 1-2 paragraphs)
- Statement to get reader’s attention
- Identify importance of communication to relationships
- Thesis statement
Body (majority of paper – usually 3 to 8 paragraphs)
- Describe an aspect of communication that you recognize as being an area of needed improvement for yourself.
- Provideat least one detailed illustration of how this aspect of communicationimpacts your ability to achieve communication goals.
- Analyze why you might experience the problems that you do.
- Inthis section, it’s critical that you use theories and concepts fromyour textbook and/or class lecture as a basis for your analysis.
- Please be very specific about how a theory/concept relates to the analysis you’re making.
- Describe an action plan for improving communication in the area that you’ve discussed.
- Prepare and detail a plan for improving your communication competence.
- Again, use theories and concepts from reading and lectures as a basis for your plan.
- Also, explain how your plan will help you attain your goals.
- Summarize the paper
- II. Wrap up the paper with a statement of significance
- Icall this the “So What?” statement. You should tell your readers whythis experience and/or concept/principle is important for you, for them,and/or for everyone to know
Your works cited list will follow MLA or APA format. Visit the Purdue OWL to learn more about MLA or APA format.