In this assignment, you will conduct a SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity,and Threat) analysis for the type of beverage you have selected, and for yourcompany overall. As you work on the assignment, consider why you have chosen onetype of non-alcoholic beverage over another and the reasons for that choice. Asyou complete your SWOT analysis, be sure to include external factors such asindustry / market trends and competition, and internal factors such as yourcapabilities or abilities to reach certain market segments.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper, in which you:
- Create your revised NAB company name and explain its significance.
- Develop your revised company’s Mission Statement and provide a rationale forits components.
- Hints: Use the Statement of Mission template on pp. 72-73 on thecourse textbook: Successful Business Plan to aid your development. Click here for help accessing a specific page number in youreBook.
- Extracting appropriate information from the NAB company portfolio, whereapplicable. You should fill in other required items in the template using yourpersonal preferences.
- Hints: Research and outline beverage industry trends. Consider thesize and growth rate of the industry overall and the specific beverage type youhave chosen. Use the worksheet in the course text (p. 88 | Past and FutureGrowth of Your Industry) to help you project the future growth rate.Consider the use of industry associations and search engines to find reliable,recent data.
- Choose one (1) strategic position from the course text (pp. 142–143) thatyou believe is the best strategic position for your company. Explain theapproach you will use to implement this strategic position in order todistinguish your beverage from other non-alcoholic beverages.
- Provide an overview of your company’s distribution channels. Explain themanner in which your product will reach end users. Provide a rationale for yourchosen method.
- Hints: For example, will you sell your beverage in grocery stores,restaurants, or sports venues? If so, describe the types of resellers anddistributors who will sell to resellers and fulfill their orders. If you areattempting to sell direct-to-consumers, such as online via a monthlysubscription, how will you manage warehousing / fulfillment /shipping?
- Outline at least three (3) types of risks (including any regulatory risks)that your business faces. Describe your company’s plan to mitigate such risk.
- Hints: You may refer to the types of risk listed in the course text(pp. 148–149) as well as any risks not listed in the text. Regulation weighsmore heavily on beverage and food businesses than many other types of companies,so be certain to consider any regulatory risks your type of beverage faces. Forexample, what kind of regulation and / or risks are you likely to face if youmake health claims about your beverage?
- Develop a SWOT analysis for your NAB company using the SWOT matrix worksheetin the course text (p. 153 | SWOT: Strengths / Weaknesses / Opportunities /Threats)
- Hints: What are your company’s likely strengths? Have you chosen abeverage segment that is growing and lacks an entrenched competitor? Are you ina niche market that has great potential? What are the strengths that you andother team members bring to your company? Do you or other team members haveprevious experience in the food and beverage industry?
- Hints: What are your company’s likely weaknesses? Is thecompetition in your industry segment entrenched? Is your own management teaminexperienced? Will it be challenging to actually produce your product andmaintain quality?
- Hints: What are your company’s opportunities? Does your segmenthave more demand than supply? Have larger corporations stopped serving smalleror niche markets that you could enter? Is a new market emerging because ofdemographics, immigration, changing tastes?
- Hints: What are your company’s threats? Is there a clear marketleader that will be hard and expensive to displace? Are downward-pricingpressures in the segment making profit margins slim? Are there little or nobarriers-to-entry for new competitors; if you have a novel idea that succeeds,can the competition easily enter your market? If you have a global aspect toyour company, do factors such as currency fluctuations, political instability,offshoring or outsourcing pose threats?
- Format your assignment according to these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inchmargins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format.Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’sname, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page andthe reference page are not included in the required page length.
- Cite the resources you have used to complete the exercise.Note: There is no minimum requirement for the number ofresources used in the exercise.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignmentare:
- Analyze the role of a company mission, vision, and objectives and the impactto business strategy.
- Describe strategic planning techniques used to formulate alternativestrategies designed to achieve stated business goals.
- Analyze the external and internal environment for opportunities, threats,strengths, and weaknesses that impact the firm’s competitiveness.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in strategicmanagement.
- Write clearly and concisely about strategic management using proper writingmechanics.