Assignment2: External and InternalEnvironments
Due Week 4
Choose an industryyou have not yet written about in this course, and one publicly tradedcorporation within that industry. Research the company on its own Website, thepublic filings on the Securities and Exchange Commission EDGAR database (http://www.sec.gov/edgar.shtml), in the University’s onlinedatabases, and any other sources you can find. The annual report will oftenprovide insights that can help address some of these questions.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page paper in which you:
- Choose the two (2) segments of the general environment that would rankhighest in their influence on the corporation you chose. Assess how thesesegments affect the corporation you chose and the industry in which itoperates.
- Considering the five (5) forces of competition, choose the two (2) that youestimate are the most significant for the corporation you chose. Evaluate howwell the company has addressed these two (2) forces in the recent past.
- With the same two (2) forces in mind, predict what the company might do toimprove its ability to address these forces in the near future.
- Assess the external threats affecting this corporation and the opportunitiesavailable to the corporation. Give your opinions on how the corporation shoulddeal with the most serious threat and the greatest opportunity. Justify youranswer.
- Give your opinion on the corporation’s greatest strengths and mostsignificant weaknesses. Choose the strategy or tactic the corporation shouldselect to take maximum advantage of its strengths, and the strategy or tacticthe corporation should select to fix its most significant weakness. Justify yourchoices.
- Determine the company’s resources, capabilities, and core competencies.
- Analyze the company’s value chain to determine where they can create valueusing the resources, capabilities, and core competencies discussed above.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipediaand other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inchmargins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format.Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’sname, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page andthe reference page are not included in the required page length.
Assignment 2:Training and Development in Small Businesses
Select a smallbusiness with which you are familiar. Imagine that you have been called intothat business to provide a consultation on training. Create a comprehensivetraining proposal for the business.
Write a six to eight(6-8) page paper in which you:
- Analyze key elements of training and development geared toward improving theperformance of the specific small business for which you are consulting.
- Predict three to five (3-5) potential challenges that the managers or ownersof the business could face in addressing organizational performance.
- Justify the effects of detecting organizational gaps in small business,providing examples to explain the rationale.
- Propose a competitive training strategy that will improve the position ofthe business in the market. The strategy should include, at a minimum, an agendaof training activities, rationale for instructional strategies used, and thereturn on investment (ROI) that will be gained from the strategy you havedeveloped.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment.Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as academicresources
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inchmargins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’sname, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page isnot included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format.The reference page is not included in the required page length.