Discussion 200 words
- Identify the type of lighting used in the film (traditional three-point, high-key, or low-key) and assess the impact of the lighting used to establish the theme. (Pulp Fiction movie)
- What are the benefits of the style of lighting used?
- How did this technique contribute to the theme?
- How was the lighting technique suited to the genre of the film? For example, documentary films tend to rely on natural light as a way of creating an overall tone of authenticity.
- Compare how the scene would play if different choices had been made.
Reflect before writing
It can be easier to grasp the importance of the term mise en scène if we break it down into its component elements. This week, we’ll look at the impact of lighting choices on the creation of meaning in a film. In any film, the intensity and direction of lighting will influence how an image is perceived by the viewer, and it can establish or enforce particular themes. Think back over films you have watched and consider how the use of lighting in key scenes helped establish the theme or tone.