Case Study 2
Maria is a sedentary, 68-year-old woman who is overweight. Shecomplains that her hands and feet are always cold, and she tires quickly whencleaning the house. At her most recent visit to her doctor, her blood pressurewas 184/98 mm Hg. She has edema around her ankles and legs, and her physicianis concerned about an echocardiogram that indicates Maria has an enlargedheart.
1. Identify tworeasons why Maria will have tissue ischemia. How might this lead to hypoxia?
2. What two earlyand reversible changes occur to tissue cells when they are hypoxic?
3. What specific type of cellular adaptation hastaken place in Maria’s enlarged heart? What made you come to this conclusion?
4. Predict why Maria’s heart has become enlarged.Why doesn’t this enlargement give her the same cardiac strength and enduranceas a well-trained athlete?
Beforefinalizing your work, you should:
· Ensure you have written at least four double-spaced pages.
· be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (asdisplayed above);
· consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Home) to makesure you have included everything necessary; and
· utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
· follow the conventions of Standard American English (correctgrammar, punctuation, etc.);
· be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as originaland insightful;
· display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics;and
· use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA ProgressionLadder.