Today’s classrooms are diverse and you will be expectedto meet the needs of all of your students. Many of our students comefrom different cultures, which affects how they learn. We must take thisinto consideration when developing our lesson plans, making our role asan educator even more complex. As a result, we must be informed of ourstudents’ cultural backgrounds as this includes another element ofcognitive understanding that will guide our instructional practices. Byunderstanding student culture, we can gain insight into learningpreferences, interests, motivation, and prior knowledge.
Based on the important features of multicultural education found inFigure 4.6 of our text and selecting a specific content standard fromthe Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSS), develop a learning activity that includes these key features of multicultural education:
- Integration of content – How does your learning activity incorporate content from different cultures?
- Reducing Prejudice – How does the learning activity attempt to minimize any of your own prejudices as well as your students?
- Making Teaching Equitable – Howdoes the instructional approach to your learning activity meet the needsof all your students by recognizing learning styles, interests, andmotivation to help achieve academic potential?
- Empowering Learners – How does the learning activity empower all students to work toward their academic potential?
- Construction of Knowledge – How does your learning activity promote different perspectives that validate how culture influences knowledge and beliefs?
Be sure to first provide your content standard from the CCSS followed byyour learning activity. Then explain how your learning activity meetseach element of multicultural education by providing evidence to justifyand support your assertions. Then reflect on your K-12 schoolexperience. Was a multicultural education part of your schooling? Whatfactors may have contributed to the inclusion or exclusion of amulticultural education in your own early schooling? Make sure toincorporate the five key features of multicultural education in yourreflection.
Click to view an example of this week’s assignment.
You have several options in completing this task:
- Write a three-four page paper (does not include a title page or reference page).
- Develop a PPT presentation that is 8-10 slides long (does not include title page slide or reference page slide).
- Use Voicethread or Prezi that is 8-10 slides long (does not include a title page slide or reference page slide).
- Use a combination of the above.
Be sure to reference the course text and at least oneother scholarly source. Your assignment should follow APA formattingguidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center, and be sure to include a title page or slide as well as reference page or slide.
CCSS – http://www.corestandards.org/
Example – Will be attached