Subatomic particles are particles smaller than an atom. Hydrogen bonds that comprise water are one example of a subatomic particle.
Tasha just sat down to eat lunch with her 10-year old daughter on a hot summer day. The waiter comes by and asks for her drink order and she politely asks for water with ice and a Sprite for her daughter. The waiter returns with her drink order. Her daughter looks over and asks why the ice sits at the top of the glass.
How should Tasha respond to her daughter’s question? Consider the following in your answer:
- What type of bonds hold a water molecule together?
- Is water polar or nonpolar?
- What happens when water freezes?
- What does it mean to be less/more dense?
- Why is freezing water extremely biologically relevant?