write a well-organized and well-supported essay, in which you state of benefits of:
- Attending college
- Eating healthy
- Enlisting in the military
- Any other topic in which you state the benefits of a given activity
A well-organized essay has a beginning, middle, and an end. The beginning, or introduction, should include an opening sentence to grab your reader’s attention. Follow the opening sentence with a brief background on the topic or situation. The last sentence of the introduction is the thesis statement. The thesis states the main point of the essay, which in this case, would be a statement affirming the benefits of the topic selected. For example,
There are many benefits to participating in youth sports.
A well-supported essay includes supporting points, details, and examples. For this essay, you must decide the best way to organize the body of the paper. Will you have a paragraph for each supporting reason? Will you divide the body of your paper into three or more paragraphs, one for each point? In any case, each body paragraph must support (explain) your reasoning (rationale) using specific details. Each body paragraph must have a topic sentence that states the main point of the paragraph.
The conclusion typically summarizes the main points of the essay and/or closes with a lasting impression that connects the reader to their world. In other words, encouraging the reader to exercise more, eat healthy, or enroll in college.
Be sure to proofread your essay and edit for proper grammar, punctuation, diction (word choice), and spelling, as errors in sentence skills will lower a final grade. A grade will be determined based on the Module 2 Case expectations and the Trident University General Education rubric for English.
Papers must be double-spaced in Times or Times New Roman font (12 cpi) with standard one-inch margins.
The first person “I” is not used in a formal essay, nor is the passive “you.” In place of “you,” “one” may be used.
No secondary sources are to be used in the process of writing this first paper; it is to be entirely written based on one’s point of view and supported with body points and details.
- Write an essay (no less than four pages in length) with an original thesis statement on the benefits of a given activity.
- Include an introductory paragraph with thesis statement.
- Include body paragraphs (each with a topic sentence that states the point of the paragraph) that support the thesis through examples and details.
- Include a conclusion that summarizes the main points of the essay and/or leaves the reader with a lasting impression on the topic.
- Proofread your essay for errors in grammar, diction (word choice), punctuation, and spelling.